Areas of Practice
Simien & Simien, LLC is here to help you. We have documented and successful experience representing clients in large-scale class action and mass tort litigation. We have also been successful representing victims of serious injury and wrongful death resulting from industrial, vehicular and other life-threatening or debilitating accidents.
Maritime and Offshore ACCIDENTS
Maritime and Offshore work can be dangerous. Those working on vessels or in the oil and gas exploration and/or production business can be injured or killed. There are several laws that protect the rights of maritime and offshore workers.
Maritime law, also known as Admiralty law, is a body of private international laws that governs maritime injuries.
In addition to the General Maritime Law, the U.S. Congress enacted the Jones Act to protect the rights of maritime and offshore workers. The Jones Act:
- Provides protection to persons who are crew members of a ship or vessel, (including certain oil and gas rigs).
- Extends the Federal Employer's Liability Act (FELA) protection to provide similar rights and remedies to seamen with a work-related injury caused by a condition on the vessel or the negligence of the employer.
- Is a federal cause of action that ensures that all seaman injuries will be guided by the same liability standards.
- Applies to inland river workers and others who work on rigs, semi-submersible ships, barges, drill ships, towboats, cruise ships, floating cranes, cargo shops, fishing vessels, tankers, dredges, recreational boats and other floating structures.
- Is not the same as Workers' Compensation. It provides for greater remedies, but requires that the injured worker prove that the vessel owners, offices, operators, employees or equipment were at fault for causing the injuries.
- Allows injured employees to recover past financial, future financial losses and gain compensation for pain, suffering, mental anguish, disfigurement, loss of physical abilities, loss of ability to care for self and various other damages under the maritime law.
Simien & Simien, LLC can help you if you have been injured while working in the maritime industry. Time deadlines apply to these claims. Various factors determine how much time you have to file your lawsuit. Simien & Simien, LLC has experience with Maritime lawsuits, and we can guide you through the process. Contact Simien & Simien, LLC today.